LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD, FLY AWAY HOME....

Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Little Bit Info on Henosepilachna (Epilachna) implicata

I would like to share some information on Henosepilachna (Epilachna) implicata that I got from an article. According to a paper by Idrus & Nakamura (1985), the ladybird species is closely similar to Henosepilachna sparsa described by Dieke in 1947. Therefore, it is referred as Henosepilachna sparsa " species C" in the list of Epilachninae of Sumatra Barat by Nakamura in 1983. The ladybird is common at latitude 0 to 2000 m and feeds exclusively on bitter gourd (peria) (Momordica charantia). Dieke (1947) described that the adult "sp C" of this ladybird has 28 or less spots with many "non-persistant' spots which is true, like the one I collected. The larva has yellow body color that covers up to the tips of the spines (Yes, compatible like the one I observed on the gourd plant). However, De Gunst (1957) and Kalsohovon (1981) referred it as Henosepilachna implicata. I compared the description of such ladybird and the pattern of the spots on the ladybird that I caught with that of the pictures in an old-version book of Indonesian ladybirds (Forgot the name of the author) and it matched. Therefore, I choose to use the name, H.implicata to make it easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes

Cheeky Ladybirds....