LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD, FLY AWAY HOME....

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ladybird Hunting

I just got back from ladybird collecting at a vege garden in Serdang. I usually do it in the morning since it is not that hot. I am fully aware that adult ladybirds are active especially in the afternoon (I wrote in a book by Dixon--> Cool book ), but depends on me if I want to do it around that time. Sometimes, I do it in the evening, and I still can find some but not that many. This morning, I managed to collect like ~ 30 of bitter gourd ladybirds (Henosepilachna implicata) on the bitter gourd plants. It was easy to collect them, just need a bottle and voila! They're pretty docile like Henosepilachna indica and dont easily run or fly away. The larva is dark yellow and different from that of H.indica, whereby, H.indica larva has whitish coloration. I also managed to catch 6 Chilocorus politus (Havent yet uploaded the pics of this sps) on ubi kayu with lots of whiteflies, one female Coelophora inaequalis and one Brumus suturalis (Have not yet uploaded) on sugarcane leaf. Finally, I got C.politus and B.suturalis. Ive been looking for these species for such a long time. Others maybe the Stethorus sps and one Cryptolaemus montrouzieri on ubi kayi with whiteflies.

I usually dont catch ladybirds in large amount, just enough for small collection and recording. If I come across ladybird sps that I have already had in my collection, I just record the numbers.
Happy hunting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes

Cheeky Ladybirds....