LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD, FLY AWAY HOME....

Friday, April 22, 2011

Ran into a bizzare ladybird larva

Yesterday evening, I came across a ladybird larva which I have not seen it before. It has an elongate, fusiform body just like that of zig-zag ladybird and transverse ladybird larvae but the spots are white. The body is entirely black, on its mesothorax, there are 2 small white spots each at the edge, same thing goes to the methathorax, first abdominal tergum and the fourth. I wish I could put some pictures on it here but I still have no digital microscope....Fortunately, I am good at drawing and had a draw of it... Will scan it and put it on here...I am keeping it to see what species it is later... I think it feeds on mites since it does not bother to eat aphids which I gave to it.. Ill just have my fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. Hi i did email you about ladybirds using my yahoo email.Plz check your inbox from an email rotuham_92@yahoo.com Thanks alot =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, are u still active? it seems there is very little information about ladybird in malaysia. i'm doing research about organic planting and ladybird is a very appealing in term of controlling aphid population. sadly, most information i gathered was from the west.
    if u dont mind, can u tell me more about ladybird in malaysia? this is my mail, mirablck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Notes

Cheeky Ladybirds....