LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD, FLY AWAY HOME....

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cross-breeding in ladybirds??

They came to me, one male Coelophora inaequalis and one female Curinus coeroleous, during on 9th July 2009 at one vege garden. I found them on the same plant, sugar cane with lots of aphids and mealybugs. At first I was really surprised to catch C. coeroleous, since it was the first time. I also caught some C. inaequalis ladybirds and placed them together along with C. coeroloeus. To my surprise, I saw one male of C. inaequalis and the C. coeroleous, which was definitely the female, were mating. This intrigued me a lot because how come they bred since they were not from the same species. Is cross-breeding in ladybirds that often or does it really exist that often? So, I decided to keep them both in order to get the eggs. I was not sure wether they were two different species since I have come across in a book that C. inaequalis ladybirds in Indonesia does have the same coloration of that of C. coeroleous ladybird. I am going to do three simple observations on them in order to varify wether they are two different species or likewise.

1. Breed and get the eggs: Rear them until adult stage and see the coloration.

2. Catch other C. inaequalis ladybird species and let the male of my sample mate them. See if it wants to.

3. Get other C. inaequalis male and let it mate with my sample C. coeroleous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes

Cheeky Ladybirds....