LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD, FLY AWAY HOME....

Monday, June 29, 2009

Harmonia axyridis? Or Oenopia excellens?

This morning, I went to hunt and record for ladybirds in the car park area nearby my apartment. I managed to collect 5 ladybirds: 2 chilocorus spp?; 1 unknown red spp; 1 unknown red with 4 spots; and 1 probably Harmonia axyridis (Multicolored Asian ladybirds). If it is true that I did catch H.axyridis, then I would be so grateful because I have been searching for this species for such a long time. However, I am not sure whether it is H.axyridis because there is also another species with similar coloration , Oenopia excellens (Crotch) female (based on Dr. J.Poorani site). This need to be confirmed. Guess I have to ask Prof. Idris. I could not find one in MARDI collections. Afterall, if it is true H.axyridis, then I would be the first person who record the first sight of Multicolored Asian Ladybird in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes

Cheeky Ladybirds....