LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD, FLY AWAY HOME....

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Eureka Finding of Maculate Ladybird (Harmonia octamaculata)

I went to get some food for the pairs at the vege garden in UPM this morning and accidentally ran into Maculate ladybirds!. That was a fascinating finding! I have been looking for them for a year already and finally I found them. They could not be found within the vege garden (JPT) before, instead, this morning, they were found on a grassy area (at the edge of the garden). I managed to collect five of them on goosegrass (Eleusine indica) while they were feeding on Eleusine aphid (Hysteroneura setariae). At first, I thought it was a Transverse ladybird since the coloration was almost similar. Then, I got down on my knee and put them into a vial. Goodness! The size was big, even bigger than that of Transverse ladybird; almost as the same as the size of Harmonia sedecimpunctata. Then, when I checked the marking patterns on its prothorax and elytra, I realized I have seen this markings before and it belonged to that of Maculate ladybird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes

Cheeky Ladybirds....